Workshop Wednesday {Reading}




I am using Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop this year.  I attempted it last year, but with all of the difficult behaviors I had to abandon ship.  Last week I started preparing my students for independent silent reading by setting the timer for 20 minutes.  This week we are working up to 30 minutes.  During this time I am pulling students one on one for DIBELS assessments.  This is also teaching my students to not interrupt me when I am working with another student.  So far the most difficult part for my students are not using the restroom during this time and the last ten minutes of reading.  With practice they will get there :)

Our lesson today included a Closed Reading focusing on using context clues to determine the meaning of unknown words.  As my students read they highlighted words they didn't know or comprehend.  They chose really great words today: anxiously, unanimously, lectures, morgue, and anatomy.



After our mini-lesson my students read silently for 30 minutes.  I haven't started letting them choose spots in the room yet, because they are still struggling a bit with staying it their seats.  I have allowed one person from each team to sit in the class library to slowly introduce sitting and reading around the room.  This picture makes me so happy :)  
 My students are doing a fabulous job of not interrupting me when I am working with a student during this time.

After silent reading my students respond to their reading, which relates back to the skill taught during the mini-lesson.  I used carbon copy sticky notes that Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching gave me last month.  The kids LOVED these!


I stuck them on a sheet of paper to review and check, some of their word choices were pretty interesting :)


8 comments

  1. Nice work. I like the idea of getting them ready. I use classdojo tri reward those who do really well staying focused whike I am working small group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm really impressed. I also bought the Laura Candler resource last year and abandoned it because my class was a tough one. I think I will pull it out and give it another look. It looks like your kids are doing really well with it! Congrats!!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could do 30 minutes a day of independent reading. My day is so packed and the curriculum so rigorous that I don't have a moment. I'm trying to fit it in at least 3x a week.

    Melissa
    Ms. Chae Charges In

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of the power reading workshop...but I love Laura Candler's resources. I may have to check it out.

    Katie
    Mind Sparks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of carbon copy sticky notes and having students do a lot of work on their own... this year mine just aren't there quite yet. I hope they get there soon :) We had 15 minutes of reading today and it was absolutely glorious! Can't wait until we get up to 20 minutes... we never have the luxury of having 30 minutes free :( Boo! I'm jealous!

    Thanks for sharing and I may have to check out Laura Chandler's resource - I have a few of her things and I might need to add another to the collection :)

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow Me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kiddos are between 15 and 20 min right now...around 18 min some of them get "wiggly." I'm hoping to get them up to 25 min by the end of next week.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the Power Reading Workshop last year and have already started on it again this year. It is a fabulous resource! Your kiddos seem to be doing great!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, carbon copy post-its??? WHAT?!?! How have I not heard of these? As in, they can keep one and you keep one? That's awesome! We are finally past the point where we need to "practice" our stamina, but my kids ask me anyway if they can still practice their "stanima." hee hee!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top