Tried It Tuesday {Remind 101}



Last week I read Courtney's post ( Polka Dot Lesson Plans) about Remind101 and remembered that I wanted to try it this year.  After emailing Courtney a few times I discovered I didn't have to download the app to my phone to use the program.  My Smartphone is no longer "smart", it won't download apps or update my current ones.  I am too cheap right now to get a new one.

Anyway, back to Remind 101...I set up my class on remind101.com, printed the parent letter and sent it home.  I only had a few parent sign up the first night, but after putting the info in weekly newsletter I now have over half of my parents signed up for the program.

A few reasons I love this app:

1.  Parents are not given my personal phone number. They are given a fake number to text in order to subscribe to receive my messages.
2. I can quickly send out reminders, updates, or schedule changes to my parents.
3. I can schedule messages.  I scheduled a message for this weekend, my students had a project due today.
4. Set up is SUPER easy!

The only con for me is that parents can't text me back, I guess this could be a pro for some teachers.  When I told my principal about this program he asked if I would share it at our next family meeting (faculty meeting).  It is that good!  I highly recommend trying it out...the best part it is FREE!

7 comments

  1. I am definitely going to try this next year. This year won't work for me because I looped, so all the parents already have my number. I hope all your parents sign up. That would be great!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've downloaded the app, just haven't had the time to send info to parents. I guess I have to make the time..

    Melissa
    Ms. Chae Charges In

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great!! I love it. I used it last year for all kinds of reminders. I also used it to ask parents for donations at the last minute---leftover Halloween candy, sandpaper etc. Worked great.

    Ali
    Teaching Powered by Caffeine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out! So glad you were able to try it and liked it! I'm liking your tip of adding it to the newsletter - I'll put that in for next week.
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using Remind 101! Just a great way to send out those reminders.

    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just downloaded it this year, but I haven't set it up quite yet. Not exactly sure if it will be the best for me since I'm not a regular classroom teacher, but we'll see! Good to know that I can set everything up online though because, like you, my "smart"phone is not so smart anymore. I was hoping this iPhone 5C coming out this month would actually be cheap, but $450-$500 isn't my idea of cheap!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really need to check out Remind 101. I am curious about how many parents would sign up. Thank you so much for linking up and reminding me about this! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top