Mentor Text & a Blog Hop






I LOVE this story by Tedd Arnold!  Parts is a super cute book about a little boy who believes he is falling apart.  He finds fuzz in his belly button and thinks his stuffing is coming out, a booger falls out of his nose and he thinks his brain is falling out, and other gross and silly things happen to him.  I love reading this to my students the first week of school because it is funny, but also great to use to teach summarizing. 

In my class I use "somebody, wanted, but, so, then" to teach my students how to summarize a story.  I read Parts aloud and together we summarize the story.

Somebody: the little boy
Wanted: to know why he was falling apart
But: he couldn't understand why things kept falling off his body
So: he asked his parents what was happening
Then: his parents told him everything was normal

Our summary:  A little boy wanted to know why his body was falling apart, but he couldn't figure out what was happening to him.  So, he asked his parents why is stuffing was coming out and why he was loosing teeth.  Then his parents told him that it was normal for hair and teeth to fall out.


To teach summarizing I use this sheet and it is now a permenant FREEBIE in my TpT Store!  You may also want to use this freebie to summarize the sequials to Parts.




My FABULOUS Best Blogging Buddies Diane and Amelia are hosting a giveaway and blog hop to celebrate 1,000 followers and a Blogiversary!  Start hopping!

      


Click on the "next" button to hop on over to Theresa $ Robyn's blog!






13 comments

  1. I'm going to need to look into this one! My kiddos would love it!
    Courtney
    Polka Dot Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these books - love the organizer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this one! Ted Arnold is crazy! :0) Thanks so much for the Somebody, Wanted, But, So, Then organizer! Have a great week!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Even More Parts to teach idioms! My students love that book every year! It's so playful and it really does SHOW the literal meaning of the idioms....

    Thanks for sharing the idea of using the companions of summarizing. Never thought of that!

    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life
    Follow Me on Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these books. I need to pick up my own copies (I borrow them from the library each year.) Thanks for sharing how you use them, and for the freebie.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love using these books for teaching idioms! They are so funny!
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your 5th grade Pre-assessment packet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh!! I love this idea! Parts is such a funny book (gross, which you know the boys LOVE). I like your idea for using it for summarizing. Definitely going to borrow it =)

    -Amanda @
    Teacher at the Wheel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the freebie! I have used "Somebody Wanted But So" but I love the addition of "Then". The book looks hilarious. Thank you for sharing!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these books, and so do my students. Tedd Arnold came to our school for an author visit a couple of years ago. He is awesome!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book! To finally have a reason to read it to my kiddos is off the wall terrific. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The moment and also preparing bought these methods, as well as devices, will certainly pay terrific rewards. You will certainly obtain the satisfaction of seeing your pupil do his/her ideal on last parcc ela grade 8 practice test.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top