Mentor Text {Pumpkin Soup}



Is anyone else struggling with finding balance between, life, school, kids, housework, gym time, soccer practice, cooking, and everything else we have to do?  With the boys in soccer for the first time this fall I am REALLY struggling with keeping up with EVERYTHING, especially blogging.

I thought I would at least share with you what I have been up to rather than blogging....keeping up with these boys at the soccer field :)
Maxton starting off the quarter :)

Xavier blocking the other team, look at that face of determination!

And how we keep up with the baby while his brother's play :)

Onto my FAVORITE fall stories for Collaboration Cuties Mentor Text Linky!

I discovered Pumpkin Soup by Helen Cooper back in my college days.  I can not remember which class I took that I had to use the story in but once I read it I absolutely fell in love with it.  I read it every fall to my kids.  My first year teaching the teachers acted out the story for the school while another teacher read it aloud.  It is a wonderful book!

Pumpkin Soup is about three friends who make Pumpkin Soup the same way every time, until one day Duck decides he wants to stir rather than put in just enough salt.  The change causes the three friends to have a dispute and work together to overcome their disagreement.  It is a great story for teaching theme (friendship) and there are some great mentor sentences as well!  The illustrations are also beautiful fall images.



After I read Pumpkin Soup I always follow it up with reading Delicious, A Pumpkin Soup Story.  In this story the three friends run out of pumpkin and try to make fish soup, mushroom soup, and other soups, but just aren't satisfied with the results.  Again, this is a great story for teaching theme and problem solving skills.

 Each book provides you with the recipe for the soups created by the three friends in the book.



8 comments

  1. I am struggling to keep up, and I am not wrangling little ones at home! Soccer is way more important than blogging!

    Love those pumpkin soup stories! Do you ever make the soup with the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely struggling immensely with trying to find a balance. If you figure it out, please let me know!! ;0)

    I don't think that I have ever read these books. They are going in my cart!! They look wonderful!!

    Thank you for linking up!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS- we are in the middle of soccer season too! I think the hardest part is trying to watch the kids play while keeping an eye on our littlest!! :0)
      Collaboration Cuties

      Delete
  3. These books look great! We are working on the 7 habits, and they fit in perfectly with several of them. (I'm thinking synergize, especially). Thank you for sharing them.

    Keeping up is hard for me... without kids of my own. I can't imagine how you do it, but I truly admire you for doing such a great job!

    Have a great week!

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth
    Follow me on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like adorable books!! I will have to add them to my list. We have been running around like crazy ever since school started back, and my little one isn't old enough to be involved in extra-curricular yet. I can't even imagine how crazy it will be then!

    Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late
    Follow me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These books look so cute! The illustrations look so pretty and the stories sound like great ones for teaching! Excited to check them out. :)
    Aylin
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  6. These books look so great. I am excited to try to find a copy of them to use with my kiddos. I am also trying to keep up with everything (and I don't have kids yet!)

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  7. These books look really neat - very cute and the type to draw students to want to open it up! And, I too can't relate to your comments about struggling to keep up...suffice it to say that you are not alone! Somehow we all get what NEEDS to get done, done! :)
    ~Deb
    Crafting Connections

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top