Mentor Text {Math}

I was shopping around on Amazon and found this book.  I haven't purchased it yet but it is on my wish list. :)  {I think my little mathematician will find this under the Christmas tree this year.}


Greg Tang writes math poems which the reader uses to help count images in corresponding illustrations. The poems are fun and creative.  One thing I love about this book is it teaches students to look for groupings of objects to count rather than counting with one to one correspondence. 

This would also be a great way to model how to use multiplication in everyday life.  Once students notice the number of items in a group and how many groups there are they can then solve the multiplication problem, rather than skip counting.  

One of the great things about this book is that it comes with answer pages!  Just in case you are just as puzzled as your students you can always check out the answer and then lead your students to the answer. :)







8 comments

  1. I think this may be the only on of Greg Tang's books I don't have!! I will definitely have to check it out!!

    Thanks for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have this book...somewhere on my math self. I need to dig it out. That is the only downside of having so many books. I forget about some of them over the years!

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just added this book to my wishlist too! It looks great! Thanks for sharing!
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess,
    It looks awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm going to go check it out. :o)
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks very good! Thanks for the fun idea!
    Tamra and Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I don't have this Greg Tang title - thanks for the heads up - I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top