Tried it Tuesday & Mentor Text {Double Linky}

When I met up with Joanne from Head Over Heels for Teaching last month she noticed Carson's necklace and once I told her what it was she said I should blog about it...so here it is. :)



When I started cloth diapering {never did with my other two} I was introduced to a whole new world of "natural parenting".  I became a babywearing mama and made more natural choices.  Tons of the mamas I met were talking about Amber necklaces for teething.  They said the natural amber was a natural anti-inflamitory and when near the thyroid it reduced drooling.  I personally don't like medication and try the natural route first {I had all three boys without an epidural} and thought well I should try it out.  The mamas were right about the cloth diapers and babywearing, why not trust them on this?

I purchased Carson's Baltic Amber necklace when he was about six months.  Within an hour I noticed he wasn't drooling any more, I was pretty impressed :)  I have only taken it off of him twice since then, for friends and family to test it out on their little guys, and have never had a cranky baby from teething.  When we came back from Florida this last time I realized he was cutting THREE molars!  I had no idea and only discovered them when he laughed.

Because Carson is a boy most people ask about it or make a comment about how cute the necklace is.  Carson doesn't mess with it, I don't think he even knows its on.  He does sleep in it and I normally tuck it in his shirt, because it works best when in contact with the skin.
Baltic Amber isn't just for teething babies...here is some information from Amber Artisans:

"There are so many ways in which you can benefit from Baltic amber. Some think of amber as a powerful "chakra"...a cleanser and healer. Others give testimony to the fact that wearing healing amber necklace provides amazing pain relief for head, neck and throat areas, most especially for congestion. Amber healing bracelets are used to help control and alleviate pain of rheumatism, arthritis, and aching muscles and joints. Amber may even restore energy, strengthen the immune system and promote general wellness."


Now onto an educational Tried it Tuesday & Mentor Text :)



Last year was our first year adopting Common Core and revamping our curriculum and teaching.  I planned math and didn't focus on revamping my reading too much, but this year that is going to change.  We have always had a basal and used it to fidelity, so this year I am trying the Reading Workshop method.  I have read Laura Candler's Power Reading Workshop and SUPER excited about implementing it this year!

I am planning ELA this year and using the mini-lesson/mentor text method.  Thanks to ALL my awesome Best Blogging Buddies I have awesome examples to look at and use.  This week I started planning one week of reading using Sister Anne's Hands.  {Our district created themes for us to use in reference to the text we use, and Theme 1 is Emotions and Out Body.}  Sister Anne's Hands is a great story for discussing Emotions.

In my plans I am using the text to teach RL 4.2 (theme & summary), RL 4.1 (Inferences), RL 4.3 (Characterization), and L4.4 (context clues/vocabulary).  This also a great book for the beginning of the school year to teach compassion.

Here is the summary from Amazon:

It's the early 1960s, and Anna has never seen a person with dark skin-until she meets Sister Anne. At first she is afraid of her new teacher, but she quickly discovers how wonderful Sister Anne is. Then one of Anna's classmates directs a racist remark toward Sister Anne. The teacher's wise way of turning the incident into a powerful learning experience has a profound impact on Anna. This moving, timeless tale is perfectly illustrated with luminous, glowing paintings.

This is a wonderful story!  My favorite quote from it is, "One thing you're going to learn is that some folks have their hearts wide open, and others are tight as a fist.  The tighter they are, the more dangerous."  I hope you check it out!



5 comments

  1. I cloth diapered as well. My daughter had (still has) horrible break-outs. I switched to cloth diapers and they didn't go away but she was much less inflamed and I could control it. I tried to babywear, but I was too late. I bought a Moby/i and she was just too squirmy:( I think I would have gotten more done had I began earlier:)

    Deniece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing about Carson. My husband and I are just starting to talk about starting our own family sooner rather than later so I am always excited to learn more about what other people do.

    You are going to love running a Reading Workshop-it was one of my favorite subjects to teach last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man! I wish I had known about that necklace!!! I'm glad you shared it now for all the moms to be!

    I have never heard of this book! It sounds like it has a great message!! Yay for reading workshop!!

    Thanks for linking up!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had two friends who have this necklace. I too wondered why their baby boy wore a necklace...but they swore by it. Luckily, my two boys have handled teething pretty well and I haven't had to do much! Bad mommy never even notices when they are getting new teeth, YIKES! Glad to know it works, I will start recommending it to my friends.

    Love the book too. Def gonna recommend it to our Ethics teacher. She will love it. Love, love, love Reading Workshop and I hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had known about the amber necklace with my kids. That is just amazing! I also love your mentor text suggestion. Thanks, Jess! :)
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top