"Welcome to Fourth Grade"

I didn't link up with Five for Friday last week simply because nothing very exciting happened in my classroom.  Last week's events also kind of depressed me so I wasn't in the best of mood to post.  Does your week or mood have an impact on your post?

My kids were off last week, nothing particular, someone was always doing something they shouldn't have.  I was excited how reading last week continued to flow.  We compared text about the same topic and continued to review main ideas; then Friday came along and they ALL bombed their reading test.  My frustration level increased a bit!  Today we started a local assessment and one of my students complained, who is always laying her head down on her desk in class, about how hard the test was. I was a bit harsh and replied "Welcome to Fourth Grade".  This has been a difficult year, the picture above pretty much sums it up.

Today we watched the Lorax focusing on theme and character development.  I was blown away by one student's response to the theme of The Lorax, "take responsibility for your actions".  Most students replied take care of Earth or the trees, I love when one student can remind you of why we do this job :)

I FINALLY reached 200 followers! Yay!  I am working on getting my Giveaway up an running, check back this week to see what is in store :)

10 comments

  1. I had one of "those" days today. Glad you had a great moment today! Congratulations on 200 followers!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the followers. Sometimes it only takes one student or one good moment to turn things around. Wishing you some more of those moments tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya girl. That cartoon really is so true. Makes me sad! I hope you have a better week!
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mamma said there would be days like this....good ones and bad ones. Luckily the good out-weigh the bad. So glad all it took was for one student to speak up and turn your day around.

    Congrats on 200!

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on 200 followers! I just became 201. ;). I'm still working on getting to 50 over on my blog but I just got started. Maybe one day!! We all have days like that! Hang in there...
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey lady! I know all too well what you mean by that picture, and how you think they've got it--but then no, they don't. I'll say some prayers for you, chica. :)

    Hope your week gets better!
    Mandy
    The 4th Grade Journey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness girl I know exactly what you mean. :( It's been a rough post Spring Break in my village. It's like everyone, including me has Spring Fever. I hope you have another *paycheck* moment soon!

    Miss Wilson
    http://20somethingteachertales.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let me know if you need anything for your giveaway. I'm not sure if I already volunteered to help or not!

    Diane
    Fifth in the Middle

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just popped on over from the Dollar Days Linky and read your latest post. This has been a VERY tough year and the other 3rd grade teachers in my building agree. We also had a grade level, district PD a few months ago and it seemed to be the general consensus. I find myself constantly reminding my kiddos lately of just how close they are to 4th grade! But it makes it so much more rewarding when a group like that astonishes you with their responses! Good luck with the rest of your year and congrats on 200 followers!

    Tara
    http://teachingwithtwitte.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope this week is better for you friend! Love your comic and countdown! Pretty cool! I'd love to help with your giveaway-congratulations!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top