Mentor Text {If I Ran for President}


Every fall our students participate in a Student Council campaign.  Each class will vote on a class president, class vice president, and secretary.  Our students are not required to run, but are required to write a speech.  This year I plan to use If I Ran for President by Catherine Stier as a resource for vocabulary.



I am sure many of you have seen it, read it, or even own it.  It is a cute book, and one that explains the presidential process.  I think my favorite part of the book is that the main character, Ben, doesn't win the election.  It demonstrates for students that just because you run does not necessarily mean you will win.

I have created a vocabulary flip book for this book and it is available HERE.




6 comments

  1. I have NEVER seen this book! I love that they have to write a speech! A great tie in to persuasive writing!

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never come across this one! It looks like one I need to get ahold of---will ad to my list... Thanks for sharing the flip book!

    Smiles,
    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks great! It is new to me as well. I will have to add it to my list.

    Hunter's Teaching Tales
    Find me on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use this book as well. I haven't held a full on election in years. Maybe it's time I give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have this one:( Going to put it on my list for purchasing now! Thanks,
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that your students have to write a speech even if they're not running for class president! (This may change some of their minds!)
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top