Text Dependent Questions

This year we are focusing on Text Dependent Questions in Reading.  Our questioning is to help students rely on the text to answer questions, rather than inferring (we do teach this just not as much).  We also create questions that focus on the Standard rather than a hodge-podge of questions.  We are digging deeper into one-three focus standards. 

Last week my students read a Close reading selection from Five Smooth Stones, continuing our Revolutionary War Theme.  Not only did we focus on Text Dependent Questioning but also making meaningful annotations.  The top picture below shows two students Pair Reading and sharing their annotations.  Teaching students to annotate I teach them to write down text-to-text connections, text to self, and text to world connections.  I also teach them to infer, summarize, and ask questions.  My students like to ask questions in their annotations so we focused on more making connections in their annotations.

The bottom picture shows two students working on a text dependent question and citing their evidence, I require students to give the paragraph number in which they found their answer.



Here my small group is sharing their answers and making sure they have the same answers cited in their  text.  The bottom pictures shows their questions and reading passages, check out all those annotations!  I gave each pair two questions to answer and cite, next they shared their question and answer with the group.  The same questions were on their test Friday.



I was out one day last week and used Farley's idea of writing notes on students' desk.  I should of added clean your desk to the bottom desk :)  They kids enjoyed having a note from me when they got the school that day.


Our classroom has a issue bin.  Students can submit an issue they have with anything in the classroom, lessons, friendships, materials, recess, etc.  The following concern/suggestion was submitted a few weeks ago.  When my co-teachers and I need a good laugh or pick-me-up we pull this out and read it.  I  also told this student's mother his suggestion and she too found it hilarious!  The boy has great priorities!

We should put pillow soft toilet paper in the restrooms.
 My students need to work on enriching their vocabulary and comprehending unknown vocabulary.  To go along with our Close Read I created these flip books.  Day one students wrote the vocabulary word next to the picture and its definition under the flap.  Day two students were given new words and were required to write the sentence from the text on the backside of the flap.  They were to use context clues and write their definition of the word under the flap and then draw a picture on the front.  They really enjoyed using these flip books and referenced them throughout the week.  I have posted the blank flip book in my TpT store for FREE!





1 comment

  1. I do not even understand how I stopped up here, but I assumed this put
    up used to be good. I do not understand who you're however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger for those who aren't
    already. Cheers!

    My web-site :: diet plans that work

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top